What is Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA)?
Earn It! Keep It! Save It! - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) offers FREE tax help to hard working individuals and families from Santa Clara County. United Way Silicon Valley partners with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), churches, nonprofits and other organizations to offer you free tax help. Tax preparation services are provided by trained, IRS-certified volunteers in a number of languages, including English, Spanish, Chinese, Vietnamese, and Russian. All locations are IRS authorized e-file providers.
How do I qualify for free tax help?
Volunteers are trained to prepare basic Forms 1040EZ, 1040A, 1040 with Schedule A, B, limited Schedule CEZ, C and California State Income Tax returns ONLY.
Additionally, your 2012 income must be less than $51,000 and you CANNOT be filing as Married, Filing Separate returns.
Where do I go to get my taxes prepared for free?
More than 45 free tax sites are located at various churches, libraries and community centers throughout Santa Clara County. Most sites are open from late January to mid-April.
To find a VITA site near you select from any of the options to the right or dial 2-1-1 from any phone in Santa Clara County. Most sites are walk-in (no appointment necessary) unless noted otherwise.
What to bring to your VITA appointment:
- Proof of identification such as a driver's lisence or other photo ID
- Social Security Cards or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for you, your spouse and your dependents
- Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
- Wage and earning statement(s) such as Form W-2, 1099's, 1098's and all other tax forms you recieve
- A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
- Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit, such as a blank check
Select an option below to find free tax assistance in Santa Clara County or dial 2-1-1 from any phone.
DOWNLOAD LIST OF VITA SITES (PDF)
VIEW VITA SITES IN GOOGLE MAPS
View 2013 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Sites in a larger map